Monday, November 30, 2009

We took the plunge....


Abby loves her Pacie (I do too!) If she happens to wake up in the middle of the night, finding her pacie is always the quick fix to get her back to sleep. If she's sick, the pacie is her comfort. Tired, pacie. You get the idea....


She is our first who has really been attached to her pacifier, so this whole notion of taking it away from her at some point has been fearfully lingering in the back of my mind. I know that at some point we'd need to do it, but I really have no idea when or how.


We've been down to one pacifier for awhile and I try to give it to her just at nap/bedtime. Today as I was looking closely at it, I realized it had a tare in it. I then remembered one way I had heard to break the pacifier habit.....cut the nipple part off. So without much thought, I did it!!! I showed it to Abby and she laughed and seemed to think it was funny that it wouldn't stay in her mouth. This is going to be easier than I thought...... WELL, I WAS WRONG!!! It wasn't bedtime. She is currently in there screaming. Yikes!!


What do I do, what do I do???? Deep down I think her pacifier is cute, and I'm not quite ready for her to give it up. But then again, its probably better sooner than later, right?? Urgh!! What to do?? I may end up running to Walgreens and getting more..... ahhhh!!


3 comments:

Greg and Andrea said...

How goes the binkie battle?

Lisa Winton said...

Just to encourage you, we STARTED giving Anna a pacie (she wasn't able to take one before due to suck and swallow problems) around 2 1/2 and she still uses it at bedtime and during illnesses. Long trips in the car are peaceful rather than upsetting. It has brought much-needed comfort and allowed us all to sleep well after years of no sleep for her or us. My 21 month-old doesn't need one and neither did the boys, but we are OK with Anna using it. I am taking it as a gift from the Lord. :o) Just pray and ask the Lord for wisdom with this little one entrusted to YOU...it is OK not to do it the same way everyone else has with their own, Jen. :o)

Blessings!

Jenne said...

OH! Did you keep it up? I tried to break Weston of his love affair with his "ba-ba" (binky) about 8 months ago. We had several aroudn the house and i cut half the nipple off of several of them. So he was going to bed with one good one and one "broken" one. (He likes to hold one and suck another.) Then somehow we lost all the good ones and i thought, "well, I guess that is that." No sir. He pulled an Abby and I went hauling off the Walgreens late one night to replenish the beloved supply of good ba-bas. It was not until this past weekend, when he turned three, that we finally gave it up for good... but we had prepped him for it for about 4 months, i think. The good news is that this time, it went much better. It was a rough first night, but subsequent nights have been fine. And now we are ba-ba free.

All-in-all, I don't know that it was all that crutial that he gave it up, but it is nice to not be slave to it (especially when we find ourselves somewhere other than home at bedtime and we have no ba-ba...)

I am very curious what your result was!!