This afternoon, I did something that I've heard of others doing, but NEVER thought I would actually do. Here's the story-
This week I'm watching two extra little ones. We've had a very full house with 5 little ones running around. Its gone pretty smoothly. Probably the most difficult part has been picking up Kenneth from school. It is no easy feat to take 4 small children into an elementary school to pick up the 5th, sign him out, and then get all 5 safely back into the van and home.
Today we arrived on time, walked in, signed Kenneth out and walked out. With 5 kids, I'm constantly counting....1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ok good, I've got them all. Today after we made it out the front doors of the school I looked down to realize that Aidan was in tears, the door had hit him on the way out. I tried to console him while walking through the parking lot (with all the other kids) when I heard a scream for "Mommy!" and turned to see Abby running towards me (at least 50 feet away) with absolute fear on her face. I had done it. I LEFT MY PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL BEHIND in the school!!!! (As I write this tears are streaming down my face) I am so filled with gratitude to the Lord for sparing me (and our whole family) from what could have been. See when I heard the scream, I was already through the first crosswalk where the buses go through and into the first row of cars. I can't imagine what could have been if I had been just 10 seconds more into my trek to the car. A little two year old doesn't have a chance running through a busy parking lot. I'm used to carrying Abby in and out and since I had Claire on my hip, I thought I had Abby, but I did not... What a close call.
Wow, Thank you LORD!!!
** Friday update- not sure what my plan is going to be for pick up today. I might go super early and put one in the stroller and one in the backpack. That way I will only have 3 walkers to look out for. Or maybe I'll put them all on a leash that might work too... =)
4 comments:
Jennifer - when I was young my parents used count 1 2 3 4 5 all the time when loading kids up. One day we arrived at church to discover that the baby had been LEFT AT HOME in the crib! They did count to five but unfortunately counted one of the neighbors. LOL! :)
praise Jesus for her safety! don't feel guilty..it could happen to any of us! i'm pretty sure one of my sisters got lost for a few minutes at disneyland when we were little! hope you are all well.
Love You Bunches Friend!
Oh! Oh! Oh! I am sure you got it figured out for the following day, but how scary!
Herding small children in a busy place is like herding cats, I tell you: doomed to get the better of you at one point or another!
Post a Comment