Ken - 3rd Grade
Aidan - 1st Grade
My Boys
Starting to feel a little nervous....
Super excited... (** this was taken before the event** see below)
Ken and his good friend, Max. They are super excited to be sitting right next to each other.
Good bye hug.
** Ok, so here's the story. Our morning started off well. We woke up on time, I made the kids a special breakfast, even got to school on time. Once there, I realized that this was going to be kinda tricky as both kids wanted to be early and both kids wanted me to walk them to class. Hmm... what to do, what to do, I can only be in one place at a time. So, I figured well, Ken is older and he has the same teacher this year (she is teaching a 2/3 blend), therefore he is more comfortable, so we'll drop Aidan off first.
Well, I had forgotten about the chaos of everyone's first day of school, and as I was getting Aidan settled in, Ken was rapidly getting more and more distressed that we were still by Aidan's class. At this point, Aidan was about 70% through the first day process so I mouthed to him (over a bunch of kids and parents heads) "I'm taking Ken to his class, I'll be right back."
As soon as we get back into the hall to head down to Ken's class, I see that he is fighting back the tears. He HATES being "late." Even though we were still EARLY, it felt to him like we were LATE. =( Major bummer, I was hoping for no tears this morning.... Any way he recovered very quickly, but I did spend a few more minutes with him then I had planned. Abby and I said our goodbye's and started towards the door back to Aidan's class.
Thats when I see a stranger escorting my sobbing Aidan to me!!! =( He had thought I said, I'll be back in an HOUR and felt like he was left alone while EVERYONE was in line with their parents!! =( =( Major bummer! Everything was going so well and now my super excited 1st grader was very upset! After some big hugs, a prayer, and lots of reassurance, I got him back to his class and finished getting everything settled. Phew! Then he turns to me and says, "Mom, I just want you to stay with me ALL day!!" Ugh. I had to fight the tears at this point.....
One last hug and a "You're going to have a great day," pep talk and we headed out. Here are his "recovered photos."
Abby gives him a kiss goodbye, but I missed it - bummer.
Aidan doesn't want another kiss!!
I made it to the van, and got Abby all buckled in before my tears came. Wow, I sure do love my kids! I can't wait until they get back home and I can hear about their first day of school.
**Update- both boys had a great first day of school!**
2 comments:
Oh man, that would have killed me!!! So glad he recovered.
I had to fight tears several times just walking into the school with my little boy holding tightly to my hand. If he would have cried, I would have totally lost it. So hard to let them grow up!!!
And if you had stayed too long, Aidan would have been telling you you'd better leave like all the other parents. :) This first day can be so stressful! Glad you made it through, and the kids recovered quickly. I admit I shed some tears once back in the car, too, and this year my kids didn't cry! I just can't seem to help it--every year it gets me.
Post a Comment