Friday, March 28, 2008

A New Hobby?

So I'm thinking of taking up sewing as a new hobby, and I'm wondering if there are any great sewers in my "reading audience" =). I know that being 31 weeks pregnant may not be the best time to start up a new hobby, but I'm BORED!! There is only so much house cleaning and kid time I can deal with it. Lately (well for the past 4+years) this is about all I do. I need a hobby! Something that I can do for FUN! I enjoy reading now and then, but sewing would be something I could do once this kids are in bed and then I'd have my wonderful creations to enjoy! =)

I don't want to do anything extravagant.... I think for now making a few baby blankets would be enough for me. But I'm trying to decide where to start. My grandma gave me her old sewing machine (Fashionmate, by Singer), but it needs a tune up (and it weighs about 900lbs!)..... So do I spend the $69.95 for the tune up, or do I get a new basic machine? Any thoughts? I don't even know how much a new basic machine costs, or what a good brand is.

With the instruction manual in hand, would I be able to teach myself? Anyone know of any good sewing classes for beginners? Anyone want to teach a class? =)

I found this great site - with basic blanket tutorial that I think I'd like to do as my first project - here it is....http://craftapple.wordpress.com/2006/07/23/chenille-backed-blanket-tutorial/

8 comments:

The Miller Family said...

that sounds like so much fun!
i would love to learn how to sew.
let me know if you get any good information.

Tricia Swift said...

I have really wanted to make some blankets for my kids also! I want to try a quilt, but I think I should start smaller. I will have to barrow my mom's machine. maybe if I get into it I can ask for one for christmas next year!

Jenne said...

sewing is a lost art, it seems. I know that Kristi (Trisha's SIL) sews dresses for her girls and is teaching them to sew. I don't know how she learned. Maybe she has a resource for you...

Anonymous said...

Jen, You sound like a nesting mama :).
I got a sewing machine when pregnant with Anne and sewed a quilt w/super-sewing pal coaching me through the whole thing. I attempted curtains for the kids room too...but I get too impatient and go faster and faster and the seams start going nuts....oh well...I tried it! I got my machine at Joann's around Christmas for about 99 dollars and I have a friend who is super-sewer who told me it was a good machine. It's a White? That might give you an idea of if you bought a new one about how much it might be.
I think it would be really cool to get super-comfortable with it and then it wouldn't be so overwhelming. You might really love it!

Anonymous said...

oops, that anonymous person was me Ronda :)

rdnaharding said...

Well...I hate to admit it...and actually don't very often, but I did win the home economics award when I graduated from HS and my grandma was the head supervisor for Jantzen. All this to say I could teach you a thing or two! As for the old machine...I would get an opinion from a tune up place. Depending on how good of a machine it was to begin with, it still may be worth a tune up. I still am using the basic machine I got when I graduated a 100 yrs ago.
Good luck!

Eric 'n Leah said...

I totally agree with Debbie Harding. My mom was a seamstress for people when first married and taught me (and several friends) to sew. If the machine is a good one, then the tune up is worth it. Otherwise, a name brand student model would work great for you. Mine is a Singer from Walmart. :-) I think you could do that blanket without hardly any problem. It looks like a piece of cake...even for a total novice!

G&G Viertell said...

Hi- I'm Leahs Mom! Jann, that is. We got Leahs machine thru I believe it was the fabric store. It is a student model that they make for schools and they made too many, so they sell the overstock quite reasonably priced. the student models are sturdy because they have to withstand unexperienced users. I do have a beginner apron that takes 1 yd of fabric and some beginner ideas for sewing. If you are interested I can give you some exercises to get used to the sewing machine and how to maneuver the fabric.