Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our poor little sweetheart!


Well if you've known me for awhile, you've probably heard me say, "We've been really fortunate to not have any emergencies with our kids." Well that changed tonight. It was about 5:00, I was cooking dinner and talking on the phone with my mom. Abby was in her high chair having a snack and the boys were playing. The next thing I know I see Aidan lifting up the back of Abby's highchair... this is where its all etched in my mind in slow motion. I am standing less than 5 feet away, but I watch in horror as the highchair goes tipping over forwards with Abby in it. Abby's forehead hit the corner of our kitchen counter before hitting the floor (her and the highchair) I thought, "this might be the moment that I lose my daughter..." Oh how fragile life is. That was a horrible feeling! I don't even remember how I got Abby out of her chair, but there was A LOT of blood. I told Kenneth to quickly go across the street and get our neighbor (a firefighter) to help. I didn't know if this was a 911 situation or not. I ended up grabbing Abby and running across the street. Thankfully Mike and Nicole helped calm me down and access the situation (thanks guys!). She had a nasty gash on her forehead and would definitly need stiches. Initially there was so much blood that I couldn't tell if it was coming from more than one place - it was good to see that it was only from one spot. Thankfully Andy arrived home minutes later, we left the boys with Mike and Nicole until Grammy could get there to watch them and we headed for the doctors office. By this time Abby had stopped crying and the bleeding was under control - what a relief!! We spent the next couple of hours at the doctors office. It took awhile for them to get her all numbed up and then she had 5 STICHES!!! Poor girl!! That part was pretty tough!! I hate having my kids suffer and not being able to hold them and help them through it. When I was finally able to hold her she calmed down quickly and within minutes was smiling and saying "hi" to the doctor and nurses! Too precious! She is such a sweetheart and a trooper! We are praising the Lord that it wasn't worse than it was! It was a good reminder at how fragile life is. We never know what the day is going to hold. It helped remind me to treasure the gifts that the Lord has given me.
Here are some photos after we made it back home. I didn't want to mess with the bandaid for a photo op.. I'm sure I'll get a picture or two later this week. The poor girl is probably going to have a scar for the rest of her life. Hopefully bangs will be in style during her high school years! =)

8 comments:

Greg and Andrea said...

Oh, poor baby (and poor mama!). Reading your story brought tears. So glad she's ok. She's going to be a tough little cookie with those two older brothers around...

Tricia Swift said...

oh my gosh! i was so mad I didn't get to the phone when you called! how scary. I am soooo glad things are ok and she is back at home safe. I couldn't stop thinking and praying for you tonight, not even knowing what all happened. kiss that girl extra tonight!

Lisa Winton said...

Oh Jen, so sorry! What a scary experience. So glad Abby is recovering well!

Love in Christ,
Lisa

Eric 'n Leah said...

Well, Abby looks like she's doing okay...but poor Mommy!! I think it's just breaking her in to the idea that she has two OLDER brothers. :-) btw- that scar will probably be in her hairline eventually...my brother got two on his forehead as a baby/toddler...and they are both in his hair somewhere now.

Jamie said...

Oh how scary that must have been. It made me cry to just read about it. I am so thankful that she is okay and we'll pray for a quick recovery for her (and you too).

Pate Family said...

Oh I'm so glad she is okay. Head wounds bleed SO MUCH! With the stitches I bet there won't be a scar at all. Hope your blood pressure is down by now!

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

How scary, Jen! I'm so glad she's alright (now you probably still need to recover some). Something similar happened with Cade asa toddler and we did end up calling 911. SO horrible to see all the blood and all you can do is pray. I remember I was still a little shakey for a couple of days after. I'm sorry you had to go through that! How nice that you live across the street from a fireman. :)

Mars said...

Oh my gosh, Christine told me about it when we were over there yesterday evening. Poor little girl! I'm SO glad she is okay.
Charlie had a similar incident in the middle of the night last night. Only, he was throwing a huge tantrum at 12:00 am and decided to JUMP out of his very high loft bed...He has a huge goose-egg and bruise on his forehead but no blood and no emergency room. So sorry to hear about sweet Abby, though.